It doesn’t matter if you’re a man or a woman – everyone wants a luxurious, full head of hair. Thick, vibrant hair is usually a hallmark of youth and vitality. For people who suffer from thinning hair know that seeking an effective treatment for hair loss is like a needle in a haystack.
Most of the time, shampoo commercials and hair restoration creams promise us luscious locks. But after a while, you realize that the only thing you gain is the knowledge that these things don’t work.
We talk to Dr. Siew Tuck Wah, Medical Director of Radium Medical Aesthetics to find out why we lose hair as we age and what are some effective remedies that can help us restore our luscious locks once more.
Why do we lose hair?
To understand why we lose hair, we must first understand the structure of the hair and its lifecycle.
There are two distinct structures:
- HAIR FOLLICLE It is located in the dermis of the skin and maintains the skin cells. It is responsible for stimulating growth of the hair and production of skin cells to encourage wound healing.
- SHAFT It is the formed and built by the division of cells in the hair bulb.
The lifecycle of the hair occurs in three stages:
- ANAGEN (GROWTH) Most of the hair is in this stage. Each hair spends several years in this growing phase.
- CATAGEN (TRANSITION) Hair growth slows down and hair follicle becomes weaker and shrink in size.
- TELOGEN (RESTING) Over the next few months, hair growth stops and the old hair falls out from the follicle. New hair growth is expected and the lifecycle starts again.
Sadly, as we become older, our hair start to lose its density and strength because our hair growth slows down. “As we age, our hair follicles become weaker. This leads to the hair production slowing down, and subsequently, the follicles stop producing hair. That is when we begin to observe hair loss,” says Dr. Siew.
Some conditions that lead to hair loss are:
- MALE/ FEMALE PATTERN BALDNESS Possibly the most common type of hair loss. For male, it usually includes a receding hairline and/or hair loss at the crown. For females, hairline is usually preserved. Hair loss is usually diffused across the top of the head.
- DANDRUFF Inflammation of the scalp that results in scaly skin can also affect healthy hair growth.
- EXTERNAL STRESSORS Sometimes changes to your environment can lead to increase in stress level. Undergoing drastic changes such as childbirth, surgery, work-related stress etc., can cause hair to fall out in large patches.
- HEALTH CONDITIONS People who are ill can also result in hair loss. Some health conditions that are associated with hair loss are thyroid disease and iron deficiency anemia.
- HEREDITARY FACTORS Take a look at your parents and grandparents. If they are bald, you are likely going down the same route too. A large part of hair loss is a result of predetermined genetic factors.
- AGING The growth phase of the hair lifecycle slows down or stops completely as we become older.
Effective ways to combat hair loss and restore hair growth
For those who have tried several ways to reclaim your crowning glory, you probably know that most things don’t work or show very little result. Many conditioners, shampoos, vitamins and supplements claim to help hair growth. However, there is very little or no strong evidence that it helps hair growth.
According to Dr. Siew, medications like Propecia and Minoxidil are useful. However, they are for long-term use. If you stop using them, your hair will likely fall again and it will revert to the state you would have been as if you never started treatment.
Although the use of Propecia is FDA-approved for use in men with androgenic hair loss, there are potential undesirable side effects such as impotence or decreased sex drive. Women who wish to conceive should not consume the medicine.
“It is challenging for people to commit to a long-term treatment for hair loss. Furthermore, consuming oral medicine for hair loss can have side effects,” says Dr. Siew. “Therefore, I designed an effective hair loss treatment that is only offered in my clinic.” he added.
The hair growth laser treatment creates micro-channels in the scalp to increase the absorption of the hair serum, designed by Dr. Siew. The thulium laser treatment also stimulates hair follicles to produce stronger hair.
By administering PDRN into the scalp, it immediately repairs and rejuvenates the scalp at the cellular level. PDRN is a powerful skin healing, anti-aging treatment that aims to awaken the skin cells in the scalp and strengthen the foundation layers for healthy hair growth.
An extract from salmon, PDRN is a unique drug that possesses several therapeutic capabilities such as wound healing, tissue repairing, and anti-inflammatory. It is also renowned for restoring balance to the skin. For many years, doctors use PDRN to treat diabetic foot ulcers and tissue repair in peripheral artery occlusive diseases.
“Clients who have undergone this treatment have been very impressed by the results. They are able to see hair growth with their own eyes in a matter of weeks,” says Dr. Siew. “In fact, this is one of the most successful treatment programs that I have designed so far.” he said.
Contact us to find out more about our proprietary hair loss treatment that has already had many satisfied clients:
Call us at: +65 6837 0507
Whatsapp us at +65 8868 0356, or
Fill in the form and we will get back to you promptly!