Scalp Peel: Treating Chronic Scalp Folliculitis
Scalp folliculitis is a common skin condition that many people have, partly due to the hot and humid weather condition in Singapore.
It occurs when the hair follicles become swollen and inflamed because of bacterial, yeast or viral infection in the follicles. In moderate to severe cases, visible red bumps that look similar to an acne breakout appear all over the scalp. When left untreated, it may spread to other follicles and the bumps may become larger, more inflamed and cause pain when you touch.
While it can appear anywhere on the scalp, it usually starts along the hairline, gradually moving to the entire scalp.
Symptoms of scalp folliculitis
Some common signs and symptoms of scalp folliculitis are:
- Tiny, red bumps on the scalp
- Some bumps may be filled with pus and resemble a pimple
- Itching and oily scalp
- Pain and tenderness when you touch the red bumps
Causes of scalp folliculitis
When hair follicles are damaged and bacterial infection sets in, the follicles become swollen and inflamed. Several factors can cause damage to the hair follicles, such as:
- Frequent pulling of the hair because of tight hair styles
- Twisting or tugging of hair
- Scratching and rubbing your head
- Frequent use of hair products that may come in contact with your scalp
- Wearing of accessories such as hairbands, hats, caps etc.
In addition, certain conditions can also cause scalp folliculitis:
- Oily skin or scalp
- Have a history of severe acne
- Weak immune system due to underlying health conditions
- Consumption of certain medication
How to treat scalp folliculitis
Ultrasonic cleansing is used to provide deep cleansing to the skin by loosening oil, sebum and comedones that are lodged deep within the follicles. Unlike manual extraction, Ultrasonic cleansing is comfortable and gentle on the skin so that it doesn’t leave any scar or permanent damage to the scalp.
When all the clogs have been removed, a mild salicylic acid peel is used to exfoliate the surface layers of the scalp. Belonging to a family of beta hydroxy acid (BHA), salicylic acid is highly effective for oily and acne-prone skin to loosen dirt from the pores. You may feel a bit of a stinging and biting sensation when the chemical peel is applied, but rest assured that this is perfectly normal.
Once the chemical peel is applied, the therapist will then apply a layer of Radium Self Defence Scalp Serum. It contains Baicapal and botanical active ingredients that help to reduce hair loss and stimulate growth and increase hair density at the same time.
- Reduce sebum production on the scalp
- Effective substitute for oral medication
- Achieve stronger, healthier hair growth
Men and women who suffer from scalp folliculitis caused by overactive sebum production.